Tuesday, July 29, 2008

La Dolce Vita "The Sweet Life"

July 25- 29 Sorrento, Ischia, Positano, & Capri

Friday, July 25
We had a class field trip to Sperlonga and Circeo. From there our bus dropped Jamie, Haley, and me off at the Latina train station. We hopped on the train to Naples. Let me remind you that Naples is very sketchy...the mafia! Needless say we kept our hands on our stuff the entire way. When we got on that train, there were no seats available so the three of sat on our suitcases in the aisle. After a few stops, some seats became available to Jamie and Haley. At this time, I had just vented to Jamie about one of the things that I won't miss about Italy... men not getting up to let the women sit down. Well just a few minutes later, a man probably in his 50s motioned to me...So ofcourse I'm already sketched out because trains to/from Naples are dangerous. Anyways, we helped me put up my luggage and gave me his seat while he stood for the next few stops. He kept asking me questions and ofcourse I have no idea what he is saying... The woman sitting across from me translated for me. I couldn't understand everything that she was saying but either she has been to Virginia or had lived there for a while, but she is originally from Somalia. After he left, she motioned that he was a sweet man... and indeed he was!

Once we got to Naples, we found our next train to Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast. On this overpacted train, we sat with the cutest British family. We played games with the children for over an hour on the train. We arrived in Sorrento around 10:00pm and finding our hotel wasn't too terribly difficult. I found our hostel in the Rick Steve's guide and it turned out being amazing... not a hostel by any means, definatly like a 3* or 4* hotel.


Saturday, July 26
The three of us woke up early and were planning on going to Positano, but as we were in the line...the boat to Positano became sold out... and the line was now for Ischia. Ofcourse, we were like "Ok let's go to Ischia today!" The boat ride was my favorite! Ischia was alot bigger of an island than I thought. We sunbathed ALL day long to get our Italian tans!


Saturday night we ate dinner in Sorrento and had the best dinner! We had to wait for a table at this restaurant for maybe 10 minutes and they brought us two glasses of champagne for having to wait. Along with the free assortment of appitizers and lemoncello. Definatly the best hospitality that I have received in Italy.

Sunday, July 27
We took the 9:25am boat to Positano. On the way we met this older couple from California. The husband used to play in the Major Leagues and now works in stocks, Wes would have loved to talk to him. Once we got in Positano, it was as gorgeous as I remembered! Except way more crowded and touristy! Everything was definatly more expensive since we went in May. In the afternoon we went into town and ate at my favorite restaurant in Positano, Chez Black and then we shopped! I am so glad that we came to the coast on our last weekend and especially in a smalelr group. Not that I am sick of Italy by any means, but I don't think I could have sat in Ariccia for another weekend anticipating going home. Thus ending in my favorite place will end my summer journey with a remarkable experience that I can never express until I bring back my family and friends. Because believe me I will be back to vacation with the celebs and middle eastern royalty in these places.

Monday, July 28
Today, the three of us followed Rick Steve's advice and took the 8:25am boat to CAPRI!!! Once we got to Capri, we immediatly bought the Blue Grotto tickets. The small baot took us from the marina area to the Blue Grotto. Since we were the first group to go to that morning, we pulled the guides in their wooden boats behind our boat. Once we got to the spot, we were all somewhat shocked at how small the entry to the cove was. It is a miracle first off that someone found this natural beauty and how they were able to get in! Since it was early in the morning, it wasn't a rush to get in and we probably had more time in the Blue Grotto than most people do throughout the day. Once we got inside, our guide started singing in Italian! The Blue Grotto was simply breathtaking, absolutly beautiful!


Once we were finished with the Blue Grotto, we took the finicular train from the marina to the actual town of Capri. We shopped and ate brunch there. In the early afternoon, we took a bus to Anacapri (the other town on the island of Capri). We took a single chair gondola to the tallest peak on the island. The view from the top was incredible!


No comments: